- What is required to attend a webinar?
- How to join a webinar?
- Joining a webinar from a mobile app
- At webinar
- How to deal with technical issues at webinars?
- Additional information
You have decided to attend a webinar – and this is simply great! We are sure that you will have to learn much new and interesting. In our turn, we wish that you could concentrate on the presenter’s keynote, so we have compiled this guide for you.
During a webinar, various situations may occur, like issues with connectivity, sound or video, and up to electricity switched off at the most important moment. Sure thing, these are seldom, yet similar problems should not catch you off base, and you need to get ready to them in advance.
Here you will find answers that will help you to solve possible technical issues in a faster manner.
What is required to attend a webinar?
To participate in a webinar, you need a computer, a smartphone or a tablet PC with an Internet connection. Internet connection speed has a direct impact on how well you see and hear the webinar presenter. This is why we recommend using an Internet connection of at least 1 Mbit/s.
To decrease the possibility of issues or freezes during online seminars, it would be a good idea to pause or complete file downloads from the Internet and close the extra tabs of your web browser. Additionally, we recommend to temporarily disable any applications that might influence the Internet connection speed, e.g. Skype, torrent etc.
How to join a webinar?
In 5-10 minutes before the webinar start, follow the link you have previously received from the webinar organizer.
In your web browser tab, you will see the authorization window. You will have to fill out all fields marked with an asterisk. Fields without an asterisk are optional.
Put your name in the Display name. In the E-mail field, type your email address. Add the webinar password you have received from the presenter in the Room password.
After typing in all required data, press the Login button.
You can join the webinar using your account in one of the popular social networks, e.g. Facebook, Twitter or any other indicated. To do so, press the corresponding icon. After this, the special service Social Entrance Authorization will request access to your account. You can close access to the service after having joined the webinar.
Joining a webinar from a mobile device
You can participate in the webinars held at MyOwnConference using a mobile browser. Just past the link, you have received from the webinar organizer.
The required minimum in terms of the Internet connection speed is 1 Mbit/s. In the popup window, put the link you have received from the webinar organizer. After this, put in your credentials.
After joining the webinar, you become a full-fledged participant in the event.
So, by now you have already entered the webinar room. For your convenience, you can adjust the localization of your webinar room by pressing the flag icon in the top right corner of the window.
In the left part of the window, two buttons are located: Ask a question and Ask to speak. The first of the two allows you to send a message to the presenter. The Ask to speak button should be pressed in case you would like to go online.
At the bottom, you will find the chat used to communicate with the webinar presenter and other attendees of the event.
The central part of the window demonstrates keynotes or other materials broadcasted by the presenter. To maximize the keynote to full screen, press the corresponding sign at the top right corner of the webinar room window.
To exit full-screen mode, press Esc on your keyboard.
The list of webinar attendees is located in the right part of the window.
Note: during online broadcasting you are required to respect the presenter and other attendees, otherwise the webinar organized can kick you out of the room.
How to start speaking in the room?
To do so, press the Speak button that is found in the left corner of the window. When the presenter invites you to the conversation, confirm that you want to speak.
In the popup window, Adobe Flash Player Settings press the Allow button. In case you use the Chrome web browser, it may require additional permission for using the webcam and sound. After granting the requested permission(s) you will get online and will be able to speak.
How to tell the system to use the correct webcam and microphone?
In the popup window, select the required microphone and webcam using the corresponding signs.
How to deal with technical issues at webinars?
We have outlined several situations that webinar attendees might come across.
- Cannot enter the room
- Webinar does not exist
- Cannot see the presenter
- Cannot hear the presenter
- Problems with text chat
Important! Webinars will not work if:
- Your computer does not have Adobe Flash Player installed. You can download it for installation from this page.
- Your web browser, or any of the installed extensions, block execution of software for Adobe Flash Player. These may include, but be not limited to, AdBlock, FlashBlock etc.
Note: in most cases, clearing your web browser cache will be enough to solve issues. To find out other possible reasons for the issues, you might need to run your system test. More information on how to clear your web browser cache is available in our video lesson.
Running the system test
If you cannot enter the room, do not hear the presenter or experience other technical issues, run the system test first. To do so, visit the link.
This is a special test that will help you reveal the reasons for your issue in less than 60 seconds.
Make sure that you see and hear yourself. Additionally, pay attention to the Checking ports step: everything should have the open status.
Cannot enter the webinar room
In some situations, attendees cannot enter the webinar room. Possible reasons for this may include the following:
- An attendee may possibly be banned by the presenter of this webinar or during some webinar held before. In such case, please contact the presenter.
- Your IT administrator may be extremely responsible in terms of one’s job and has closed access to everything that is not expressly permitted by the authorities. Provide your IT system administrator with the following information.
To participate in webinars, the following is required:
- Open ports 1935, 80 (HTTP), 443 (HTTPS).
- Unrestricted access to the following domain names:
Message: “Webinar does not exist”
You can see this page in one of the following cases:
- the webinar link you have got is wrong; webinar presenters have blocked access to it for you;
- webinar presenters have temporarily switched off the webinar;
- organizers have suspended using MyOwnConference services.
If you see this message, please get in contact with the organization or the person you have got the link from to learn the possible reasons for being blocked.
Microphone and webcam not connecting in Google Chrome
In Google Chrome you need to confirm access to your webcam and microphone twice: in the Adobe Flash Player Settings window and in the popup message in the top part of the web browser window. Access is confirmed by pressing the Allow button.
To avoid the echo effect, the first thing you need to do is to define where it appears: either on your side or the side of your communication partner. For the purpose of troubleshooting, ask your communication partner or presenter to lower the microphone sensitivity to the minimum and disconnect all other sound input devices if any. If this does not help to eliminate echo, it means it appears on your side.
To eliminate the echo effect, we advise to use a computer headset.
If echo appears on your side:
- If you use a standalone microphone and speakers instead of a headset, try to decrease the speakers’ volume or lower the microphone’s sensitivity using the “Sound level” regulator (this can be done both in the webinar room and using your computer settings. It is advisable that the “software” volume should not exceed 80%).
- Activate echo cancellation in your sound card settings (feature available in almost all modern sound cards). Exact steps to perform depend on the sound card model. In most cases, this can be done either via the Control Panel in Windows or some software installed together with the sound card drivers. For some sound cards, to enable echo cancellation you would need to switch on the “optimum for audio conferences / IP telephony” mode, which is, in fact, the same.
- If the audio input devices contain stereo mixer, please disable it or lower the volume to the minimum. Disable all other devices (like line input) except for the microphone.
- Cannot hear the presenter.
Solution: on your screen, search for the picture with the loudspeaker sign. It should not be crossed. Check the slider position. Otherwise, refresh the page and put in your credentials once again.
- Cannot see video from the presenter or it is slowed down considerably.
Solution: refresh the webinar page or reconnect your Internet connection
- Cannot see the text chat field.
Solution: bring the scale of your web browser window back to 100%.
- Cannot see keynote slides.
Solution: check the date on your computer and set it to the current one in case of discrepancies.
Absence of audio and video signal from the present can also be preconditioned by using a proxy server, which may totally limit your ability to accept these streams.
If you have not found the answer to a question you are interested in, feel free to learn our additional educational materials and video lessons. Here you will find answers to the most frequent questions.
To contact the tech support department, press the Help in the top right corner.