Undoubtedly, the corporate world is gradually shifting its way to complete online learning. However, the stats for personal e-learning are also not less impressive. According to Statista, the e-learning market globally will best $243 billion by 2022.This is because learners in all spheres find online learning sources more accessible and effective than physical classroom training.
Scope in e-learning as a tutorWhen teaching through the internet is making its move beyond schools and colleges’ walls, the scope for e-learning as a business option is also increasing gradually. Entrepreneurs are coming up with fresh ideas to offer unique learning potentials to students and earning preferences to the tutors. Nowadays, as a tutor, you can have unlimited know-hows to sell courses online and make some sound money from them.
- Explore your expertise: Some websites are even paying teachers to put up online courses on their websites. They are allowing tutors to put live as well as offline videos of their lectures. As a tutor, you can enjoy a sizeable market to explore your expertise and earn from it. As people are gradually grasping the value of online teaching methods, being an online trainer has become a significant deal.
- Reach beyond physical boundaries: There are many countries and places where there is a huge shortage of teachers in physical classrooms. In this situation, e-learning comes as a boon to such people, where they don’t have to rest in physical classrooms to learn. For example, with e-learning platforms, a US teacher can take online classes for students in Africa.
- Ease and convenience: Some people possess excellent teaching skills but cannot take classes due to their hectic schedules or traveling hassles.
- Such people can prefer online classes from their homes’ comfort and still earn good earning without essentially being to the classrooms.
- Do more than just teaching: The e-learning is a multi-billion dollar industry. There are millions of people involved in it. It is not just about teaching students on third-party websites. You can do more than just putting your courses on Coursera or Udemy. You can create your e-learning website and entrepreneur a business of your own.
Two ways to earn by online coursesIf you possess expertise that you think people would be interested in learning, you can create and sell courses online in two primary ways:
1. Find a suitable platform according to your expertiseNumerous established e-learning marketplaces allow tutors to sell their courses on them. They offer Off-the-shelf e-learning courses accessible for purchase by the learners. As these platforms are already well known in the audience and you will not have to struggle much to find buyers of your course materials.
How do e-learning marketplaces work?
- You need to create a tutor profile on the platform.
- After updating your profile, you need to upload your courses.
- People will come seeking courses on the website and purchase them accordingly.
- You will be paid for each purchase happened for your course.
- The marketplace will collect a commission from the combined sale made by you.
E-learning platforms to look out forHere are a few of the most popular e-learning platforms where you can upload your online courses: 1. Open Sesame Open Sesame is one of the most reliable on-demand e-learning marketplaces, with more than 20,000 courses already on the platform. Learners from around the planet make purchases of the courses uploaded here. With its highly accessible user interface, buying and selling online learning courses is as easy as watching a Netflix video.
- You can upload SCORM, AICC or video files as course material.
- It works on a revenue-sharing model. There is no cost to you to sell courses online.
- Learners can preview courses, read reviews, and buy courses.
- No subscriptions or sustained commitments. Learners purchase only what they need.
- Using the syndication model Coggno allows PEOs and HR consulting firms to offer courses from their own website.
- The platform provides an instant distribution channel to monetize and distribute courses directly with its affiliate partner network.
- Enterprises also purchase courses uploaded on Coggno to train their employees.
- Companies purchase its courses for employee training and development.
- The main source of its revenues is from verified certificates.
- There are other sources of revenue as well: Fee-based courses and Sequence of courses.
2. Create your own online teaching websiteThe second way to make money from selling online courses is to develop your own e-learning platform like the above ones. As the already established platforms charge commissions for listing your courses on their marketplaces, you can take a step forward and launch your own e-learning website. E-learning authoring tools will allow you to create your own personalized courses and sell them on your terms, claiming the whole income for yourself alone.
What is an e-learning authoring tool?An e-learning software or authoring tool is a program that offers the necessary tools to design online courses and allow specified users to retrieve them from anywhere through the internet. With varying levels of access and features, any such online teaching software provides all set of abilities to accommodate a learner and instructor on the same platform. In simplistic terms, they come with an extra set of abilities to facilitate teaching, learning and earnings for the tutors.
Things to lookout in an e-learning authoring toolAny e-learning authoring tool should at least offer the following functionalities to start your own e-learning website:
- Editing tools to create and edit online courses.
- Ability to access the uploaded courses via internet.
- Show syllabus and course summary before purchasing the courses.
- Allow tutors to create lectures in different formats like text, video and audio.
- Ability for learners to provide online feedback.
- Allow monetization of courses: pay-per-course or subscription plans.