With MyOwnConference you have there are 2 ways of holding webinars and video conferences. The first one is just using your web browser with no application installed locally through WebRTC protocol, and the second one using web browser with our downloadable plugin which offer you low latency TCP secure protocol based on own technology (available for Windows and MacOS only). The second way is called secure alternative technology.
Here are advantages of broadcasting using our unique alternative technology:
- More stable connection during the webinar or video conference even when the Internet connectivity speed is low (we have tested even with cellular EDGE connection and were able to host a webinar successfully).
- Possibility to host webinars in case of failure to do so using your web browser (the WebRTC technology is blocked by company rules or non-working).
- Full-fledged work of the webinar platform through VPN.
You can both watch and hold online transmission. We strongly recommend not to use free VPNs as they usually have poor bandwidth.
This step-by-step guide offer steps to enabled Alternative technology
Only the MyOwnConference account owner can activate our alternative technology. It will also be turned on for all moderators and speakers in the webinar room.
Please note: Webinar attendees DO NOT need to download and install this plugin. They still use their favourite browser with link to your webinar.
Go to your webinar room and open the settings. Find the Webcam and microphone settings and click on them. In the Broadcast technology sub-item, you will see technology have been enabled. The green button next to WebRTC means that this technology is activated now.
Activate our alternative technology by clicking on this button. You can understand that the changed colour of the controller has activated the alternative technology.
If you do this for the first time, the system will offer to download a plugin. Proceed with the download because alternative technology works only after the installation.
Then, follow these steps:
- Wait till the download finishes;
- Unzip the archive and start the application;
- Press the Speak button.
Enabling the alternative technology on Windows OS based computers
After the plugin is downloaded, proceed to your Downloads
and unzip it.
Double click on it to start.
In the taskbar, the icon of the running plugin will appear.
Return to the webinar room and press the «Speak» button.
What should you do if an add-on is already installed, but the system asks you to download it again?
Follow the simple instructions.
1. Locate the Notepad.exe application on your desktop and run it as «Administrator».
2. In Notepad, locate and open the hosts file. The path to this file is:
3. Add text at the very bottom of the file, on a new line:
4. Save the file.
5. Refresh the webinar page and click the «Speak» button.
Enabling the technology on Mac OS based computers
Unzip the archive
and double click on it to start.
You may see the message informing you it is impossible to open the app.
In this case, keep the Control key pressed and right-click on the DTS app icon, then select Open from the context menu.
The app will be saved in the security exclusions list and further on you will be able to launch it by simply double-clicking, same as any registered app.
After this, return to the webinar room and press the «Speak» button.
For macOS devices, the screen sharing is only possible after installing a plugin and adding permissions in the system settings. To do this, open System Preferences, then – Security & Privacy. Select the Screen Recording section and set the permission next to the DTS add-on. After that you can start the screen sharing.
What to do if the add-on is already installed on your Mac, but the system asks you to download it again?
Follow the simple instruction.
Find and run the «Terminal» on your desktop. There are several ways to do this.
1. In the «Spotlight» search bar, enter the word «Terminal» and press enter. This will bring up a «Terminal» window.
2. Launch «Terminal» in the «Finder».
3. Among the utilities, find «Terminal» and run it.
4. In the «Terminal» window, run the command:
sudo nano /etc/hosts
5. After the command, add at the very bottom a new line of text:
6. Save the changes:
6.1. to save the file, press «Control-O»;
6.2. to exit, press «Control-X».
7. Refresh the webinar page and click the «Speak» button.
If you encounter any difficulties broadcasting with the alternative technology enabled, feel free to contact our technical support via your preferred means of communication.