Pitching to potential investors is one of the most important things you can do as an entrepreneur. It’s a way of getting people to believe in you and your product. Once they have this belief, they are more likely to give you financial backing.
When you make your pitch, there are certain tips that you will find useful. For instance, you should tell a real customer story to highlight how your product can solve a problem. You should also make sure that you outline your business model and your numbers clearly and concisely. Importantly, you should share important facts about yourself. This is because people are more likely to invest if they feel as though they know you and your vision. Finally, you should show your product and talk about its attributes.
Preparing to pitch using a webinar or video conference
You do not have to make a pitch face-to-face. The technology exists to make it easy for you to pitch online. You can speak to potential investors by video conference or you can arrange a webinar. Whatever form of technology you choose, there are certain essential steps that you need to take.
Share important information upfront
You must give potential investors all the information they need to attend the video conference or webinar. This could include providing the time, date and codes they need to participate.
Test the technology that you are going to use
The last thing you want is for technology to fail during your pitch. This is why it’s so important to do a full run-through of your pitch using the technology. Doing this helps you to identify any problems.
Obviously, you need to make sure that you have a secure, fast and reliable Internet connection to use. It’s a good idea to use a connection that you do not share. You should also have an ethernet cable available or make sure that you are as close as possible to the router.
Find the right environment
You do not want your audience to be distracted during your pitch. For this reason, you need to find the right venue to do your presentation. You should make sure that there are no distractions, such as background noise.
Share materials in advance
If you want to secure investment for your product, it helps to share your pitch materials. Doing this allows investors to get an idea of your background and that of your product.
You also need to decide how you are going to make your pitch. Let’s take a closer look at using a video conference.
Pitch using a video conference
Video conferencing is becoming more widely used by businesses overall. It can be especially useful when you want to pitch to investors. There are certain things that you need to consider if you want to have the best chance of success.
- Design the video conference around the discussion that you want to have. Make sure that you involve attendees in the conversation to keep them engaged.
- Choose a reliable video conferencing platform. Check for platforms that best suit your needs. It also helps to have a telephone conference line available as a back-up, in case of unexpected issues.
- Make sure that the video conference runs effectively. This includes having a clear agenda and making sure that presentation times are adhered to. Failure to do this can cause your whole pitch to go off track.
- Record your pitch and circulate it to all attendees. This allows you to remain at the forefront of their attention.
- Make use of video to tell your story. This helps you to tell investors what they do not already know and what they will learn as a result of your pitch. Pay careful attention to choosing appropriate colours and soundtracks for your brand.
- Make sure that you have a feedback process in place. Your prospective investors will likely have questions following your pitch. This is why it’s so important for you to have a seamless and easy feedback process.
Following these steps helps you to succeed with your video conference pitch.
Pitch using a webinar
It’s not just video conferencing technology that you can use when making a pitch online. You can also use a web conferencing platform. Hosting a webinar is an excellent way to reach a large number of people you want to invest in your product.
To do this successfully, you need to complete the same planning that you would for a video conference. You also need to plan your pitch carefully. Generally, you should follow the same rules as you would for a face-to-face elevator pitch.
- Keep it concise. Think carefully about what you want to say and say it with words that convey meaning.
- Be clear about your message. This means that your presentation on the day and all your supporting materials should complement each other. Importantly, you should not use jargon.
- Focus on the problem that you are solving. Remember that attendees need to have a compelling reason to invest in your product.
- Show that you are credible. As mentioned earlier, you should include your numbers and tell a relevant story.
- Know your audience and customize your presentation to appeal to the audience. This is vital if you want your pitch to be successful.
- Encourage conversation with your audience. This helps your potential investors to engage with your product.
When you pitch using a webinar, it helps to create two slide packs. You should use a basic pack when you organise the webinar. You can then send the other pack, including further detail, to attendees.
You can see that you can make a successful pitch online. However, if you want your pitch to be successful, you need to plan. Most importantly, you need to make sure that your pitch is clear, concise and compelling. You also need to test the technology that you are going to use so that you do not encounter any damaging distractions on the day.