The webinar platform MyOwnConference has hosted over a million of webinars by now. We have analyzed the best ones and outlined 17 rules, by following which you will be able to prepare and hold a successful event.
1. Take care of your webinar’s name. Make your headline interesting, catchy, yet reflecting the topic of your event.
2. Choose the proven webinar hosting. Prefer the platforms that guarantee stable broadcasting and failure protection.
3. Prepare a laconic and engaging presentation. Be sure to avoid complicated schemes and graphs – the meaning of images shall be comprehended from the very first glance with no additional explanations.
4. Try to hold your event in a room that is lit well. Standard webcams offer not really good image quality under poor lighting.
5. Prefer monochrome clothes. Striped and squared shirts and blouses can produce image flickering.
6. Never start your webinar by “let’s get closer to our stuff”. Attendees are still tense, and your task is to make them relax and to win over them. You should better tell some topical story or joke instead.
7. If attendees do not know you or your activities really well, give them brief information about those at the beginning of your presentation.
8. Tell about the researches that prove your key messages. Provide exact statistics rather than use the words like “many”, “most” etc.
9. People find it more interesting to listen to examples from their sphere of activities. Include real stories and examples into your presentations.
10. Remember that listeners aim at getting benefits from you, which means they would like to hear something new that is really precious to them. If you start telling anything that has been told numerous times by others, you will lose the trust of your attendees.
11. During the webinar, concentrate on your story and presentation. Solving all technical problems should be done by a dedicated person – your moderator.
12. Do not try to tell too much information during a single webinar. It would be more effective to make your attendees understand how to faster achieve a real result, even a small one, in solving some kind of problem.
13. The more pressure points of your audience you can touch (e.g. what it is concerned or worried about), the more trust it will have to you. Demonstrate your audience that you know and understand its problems.
14. Prepare handout materials that you will send your attendees via email later. This will help to form a positive impression of you and will let your attendees remember of what you have spoken of even after several years.
15. Distribute your time correctly. Keep tracking your time so that you have enough of it for telling everything you promised to.
16. Demonstrate diverse content. Do not limit yourself to one single keynote. The advantage of webinars is a possibility of using additional tools unavailable for other types of online communication.
17. Do not lose contact with attendees of your webinars. Send them an email with the webinar recording, a friend request in social networks or invite them to attend further webinars.
We have listed 17 rules that will help you get your audience interested in your material and hold a great webinar. Yet, do remember that there are exceptions to any rules. This is why it is important that you note your own feelings and create your own webinar history.
MyOwnConference blog. Lifehacks, reviews, useful tips for preparing, holding and promoting webinars and web conferences.